Skip to main content

With Great Curriculum, Comes Great Learning

Superhero training officially started on Tuesday August 01 for us when we started our last month of the summer curriculum from Mother Goose Time. I always love starting a new month, everything is new and exciting, and there is so much to be discovered. When we start a new month I usually take a few days towards the end of the previous month to get things set up. I make sure that all supplemental books have been pulled off our shelves or checked out from the library and set up on our school shelf. Then I gather any materials I will need out of the bags in the curriculum box. I make sure I have the calendar numbers, manipulatives, music, theme poster, coloring pages, and anything else I might need and then I put them in an easily accessible place. I also take this time to pre write any holidays, birthday, or fun trips on our blank calendar. The kids really like seeing what is coming up for the month.



I also make sure that I take a quick look at the included gathering list to see if there is anything I  will need for the up coming month, and I take a peek at the Teachers Guide and Planning Journal to see what projects there are going to be. This helps me decide what extras I want to add to the month. Sometimes I like to add movies or extra crafts that go with what we are doing, or special themed tea times and lunches that go with the months theme. We really try to immerse ourselves in what we are learning. 




I also like to find the extra celebration kit that Mother Goose Time always adds in each month. This months is Family Picnic which I think we might do on a day their dad is off from work. The weather has been so warm here that we will enjoy having a nice family picnic before Fall starts creeping up on us again. 


Once I have had a quick look over everything and gathered anything I need to help make things easier for the month we are ready to go.

This first week of Superheroes has been so much fun. Its all about Superhero dress up and we've slowly been going through everything a superhero would need to be super.

We worked on our Superhero Symbol



And our Capes


We even found time to work on our Journals





Next week we will learn about Superpowers like Invisibility, Super Speed, Flight, Super Strength, and Super Breath. 


*Mother Goose Time has generously provided this curriculum to us in exchange for our stories and honest opinions*




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets Talk About Manipulatives...And a Give-Away!

I am so excited about this post!  Mother Goose Time has allowed us to do a giveaway with our readers! One lucky winner will win 2 bags of Mother Goose Time manipulatives. It will be a surprise what they give you but let me ease your mind, we have loved all the manipulatives they have sent so far. Each month of Mother Goose Time has a theme and everything you get works with that theme. This means you get a meaningful month of learning that is all planned out for you. Every month you get a new calendar set up as well as numbers, shape, and color to add to your circle time. You also get a storybook and a music CD that is matched to the months theme as well. But, I think the most fun items you get is the hands on stuff. They include a stamp to go along with the shape of the month, cookie cutters of the letters you will be focusing on, and 2 bags of really good quality manipulatives. This Months theme is Nursery Rhymes and we received a bag of sheep counters and a bag of lacing shape

Strength Training

Superhero training continued this week and we focused on Superpowers. We learned about Invisibility, Super Speed, Flight, Super Strength, and Super Breath.  Doing our regular schedule of school wasnt easy this week though. It was unusually hot here and because of fires North of us in Canada our air was and still is in unhealthy ranges. So when the air was clear we spent as much time outside as we could, and when the winds changed and it was unhealthy again we stayed inside with the windows closed, the fan on and a constant flow of homemade popsicles. We might have watched a little more TV then normal as well, but since a lot of the shows we watched had superheroes in them we will say it was research! The great thing about the  Mother Goose Time themes and activities is that we can do them anywhere. We pretended to use our superpowers at the park, the grocery store, and out in the grassy area near our house. So even though we weren't super active with school this week we were still

Mothers Day Celebration

We have been happily learning all about Bugs and Crawly Things this month with our Mother Goose Time  curriculum. We have gotten a little behind so far due to this great Forest School we have been going to, and let me tell you there are a lot of bugs to be seen in the damp Pacific North West Forest. The Banana slug is definately the biggest slug I have ever seen. We have also been seeing worms, and beetles as well. Such a great theme for Spring! We took another break from our daily bags this week to use our Mothers Day Celebration Kit that came in this months box. We do a weekly Poetry Tea Time on Thursdays as part of my daughters Language Arts program and I thought that the Mothers Day Kit would pair perfectly with this. Plus I see no reason we shouldn't celebrate me twice this week. Here is a link to get a printable version of the Mothers Day  kit in case you want to celebrate this weekend as well. So on Wednesday night I filled out the Invitations from the kit and left it on t