Skip to main content

Measuring Up Super Breath

This has been a very unproductive week. I think I am stuck in this weird middle ground. I know that summer is almost over and I am trying to cling to it, yet I am ready to get into planning mode and start the school year as well. The weather is starting to get a little cooler and some of the leaves are even changing colors already. I know we have about a month left before fall is officially here, but I feel like summer is slowly starting to make its exit. We don't really ever stop learning here but the schedule has been a lot more relaxed and in just a few short weeks we will officially be going back to our version of school. So this week I have been cleaning everything and going through every shelf of books, curriculum, and school supplies. I like to get a fresh start before we go back. I have also been doing some long range planning for the year and setting up my new Mother Goose Time supplies. I received the September school bus box a few days ago and I am really excited to see all the new themes and activities for the coming year. I have all the supplemental books on hold at the library, and I am just excited to get going, and sad too because this means another year has gone by and it is really flying!

Even though I was preoccupied with planning, and going through all my new Mother Goose Time stuff I still managed to fit in a few fun activities from our Superheroes box. One of the days that the kids really loved this week was the Super Breath day. We had so much fun learning about this super power! Neither of the kids thought it would be a good idea to actually have this particular power though, they figured that if you blew pollution out of the city then it would just go to a different city. Or if you blew out a fire there was the chance you would blow the flames right onto your neighbors house. One solution was to be able to suck up the pollution, but it was quikly decided that it would be very unhealthy to do that even for a superhero. I just love the conversations we have while doing our Mother Goose Time activities. We also played the Would You Rather game on this day. I know I have talked about this activity before, but I really do love this one. I like to see what they pick and hear their reasons for it. Just being able to see their thought process and hear why they would pick one thing over another really gives me such insight into their thoughts and ideas. It is also great for their reasoning skills, and gives them self confidence because there is no wrong answer. I did it a different way this time though and it really added an element of fun. We used the straws and cotton balls from a different activity and I had them blow the cotton balls to the answer card they wanted to select. This was great for their large motor skills and breath control. Not to mention it was hilarious to watch.



After this we used some feathers and a measuring tape to do the blow distance activity found in the teachers guide book. We stretched the measuring tape out across the floor and then placed the feather at the beginning and used the straw to blow the feather as far as we cold. We tried with light blows, and really hard blows, we even counted how many blows it took to take the feather all the way to the other side of the measuring tape. We then compared all the measurements and talked about the results. Did the feather go farther with a light or heavy blow? How many times did you have to blow it to get it across to the end? Was it easier with or without the straw? 





We've also been using our super breath to blow all the dandelions we come across on our walks. They each want to show me their super breath. Another thing my son has been enjoying is the I can Read book. We used it ealier in the week, but he has taken it out to read it several times this week. The nice ting about these little readers is that they are very simple and have great pictures. I just need to read it once to him and then he can go back and retell the story while pretending to read it to me. I now he is interested in starting to read so these signs of reading readiness are great. He knows which way to hold the book, turn the pages, and he also knows that the words tell the story. Its just a matter of learning the alphabet and the sounds now.


It is so cute to listen to him read though. I think this weekend we are going to take our family picnic celebration day out to the park and have a little summer picnic before the summer is gone. Next week is a week I'm excited for because we get to learn how to be a superhero to our world. We are going to learn to reduce, reuse and recycle, as well as learn how to protect plants and animals.


*Mother Goose Time has generously provided this curriculum to us in exchange for our stories and honest opinions*





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets Talk About Manipulatives...And a Give-Away!

I am so excited about this post!  Mother Goose Time has allowed us to do a giveaway with our readers! One lucky winner will win 2 bags of Mother Goose Time manipulatives. It will be a surprise what they give you but let me ease your mind, we have loved all the manipulatives they have sent so far. Each month of Mother Goose Time has a theme and everything you get works with that theme. This means you get a meaningful month of learning that is all planned out for you. Every month you get a new calendar set up as well as numbers, shape, and color to add to your circle time. You also get a storybook and a music CD that is matched to the months theme as well. But, I think the most fun items you get is the hands on stuff. They include a stamp to go along with the shape of the month, cookie cutters of the letters you will be focusing on, and 2 bags of really good quality manipulatives. This Months theme is Nursery Rhymes and we received a bag of sheep counters and a bag of lacing shape

Mothers Day Celebration

We have been happily learning all about Bugs and Crawly Things this month with our Mother Goose Time  curriculum. We have gotten a little behind so far due to this great Forest School we have been going to, and let me tell you there are a lot of bugs to be seen in the damp Pacific North West Forest. The Banana slug is definately the biggest slug I have ever seen. We have also been seeing worms, and beetles as well. Such a great theme for Spring! We took another break from our daily bags this week to use our Mothers Day Celebration Kit that came in this months box. We do a weekly Poetry Tea Time on Thursdays as part of my daughters Language Arts program and I thought that the Mothers Day Kit would pair perfectly with this. Plus I see no reason we shouldn't celebrate me twice this week. Here is a link to get a printable version of the Mothers Day  kit in case you want to celebrate this weekend as well. So on Wednesday night I filled out the Invitations from the kit and left it on t

Fun with Sleds

With Christmas coming in just a few short days we decided to take it easy this week. We did lots of cookie baking, present wrapping, and movie watching. For my daughters school work this week we mostly focused on learning about different Christmas traditions from different countries. We then made an ornament to help us remember what we learned for each country. It made for a very fun and meaningful Christmas tree this year. The only part of our normal routine that we continued was our Mother Goose Time . The great thing about this program is how flexible it is. I love that I can really get into a week or even just a day and do everything that is listed in the teacher guide, or I can pick and choose what we do to make it an easy fun day. I liked that even though we weren't really doing a lot of school this week Mother Goose Time helped to make it feel like there was still some structure to the day. We continued our morning routine of calendar, weather, song and a story which helped