Skip to main content

Island Art Day

This week was a little light on the homeschooling and we didn't get a lot done. It is the start of summer and my husband took a day off this week, we went to a dollar movie and we went swimming. It was a wonderful week. We did have a day that we stayed home and relaxed. On this day I decided that we wold have an art day. We were already a few days behind in our Mother Goose Time and I wanted to make sure we had a chance to do some of the fun art projects before we move on to a new theme next month. I gathered a few of the projects and set the table up with all the supplies. We put on the Alphabet Island CD that came with the curriculum and went to work.


We did the Lei, Surfboard and Strum Drum Activities. I let them do the projects in whatever order they wanted and I let them use whatever supplies they wanted. We had some fun disscusions during this time. We used the Would You Rather prompts as conversation starters and when we got to the one that asked if we would rather ride a surfboard or climb a coconut tree it got us off track and we looked up how people climb coconut trees and watched some amazing videos, which then got us watching hula dancers and finding hawaiian music to listen to, and now we are planning a little luau for this weekend to celebrate the end of Alphabet Island month.

The art projects came out great




I love that even when we aren't following the curriculum it is still a great tool to have up my sleeve to ensure that even our unproductive days are productive. Thanks Mother Goose Time!

Next Month starts our geared down summer fun school. My kids can't function very well with no structure to their day, but I still want to make sure that we relax and have a little fun too. Mother Goose Time has my back, they have a summer program that will help add fun and structure to my day without making it feel like we are doing school during the summer. Next Months theme is camping and I can not wait to get started. I have so many fun ideas for this month. Click here for a sneak peek at Mother Goose Times July Camping theme.  



*Mother Goose Time has generously provided this curriculum to us in exchange for our stories and honest opinions*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Month of Nursery Rhymes!

So far we are only in day 2 of our Mother Goose Time Nursery Rhymes theme for February and we are loving it. I printed out the coloring pages for this months theme in the member resources section of the  Mother Goose Time website. Each color page goes with the days nursery rhyme, it has a cute picture and the nursery rhyme printed on it. After the month is finished they will each have a cute nursery rhyme book of their own. I can not wait to share all 20 of the nursery rhymes with my kids, some of them were ones I had forgotten until I flipped through the book, and then I couldn't believe I hadn't read them to my kids before. As a Mother Goose Time Blog Ambassador we are given a monthly focus topic to think about while we are doing the lessons with our kids. This month is about assessments. Mother Goose Time gives you plenty of ways to assess the progress of your students. I started thinking about how I use assessment in our homeschool. Because I only have 2 students and th...

Lets Talk About Manipulatives...And a Give-Away!

I am so excited about this post!  Mother Goose Time has allowed us to do a giveaway with our readers! One lucky winner will win 2 bags of Mother Goose Time manipulatives. It will be a surprise what they give you but let me ease your mind, we have loved all the manipulatives they have sent so far. Each month of Mother Goose Time has a theme and everything you get works with that theme. This means you get a meaningful month of learning that is all planned out for you. Every month you get a new calendar set up as well as numbers, shape, and color to add to your circle time. You also get a storybook and a music CD that is matched to the months theme as well. But, I think the most fun items you get is the hands on stuff. They include a stamp to go along with the shape of the month, cookie cutters of the letters you will be focusing on, and 2 bags of really good quality manipulatives. This Months theme is Nursery Rhymes and we received a bag of sheep counters and a bag of lacing s...

Whats In The Celebration Bag!

We still have one more week of our December Winter Wonderland kit left, but I knew that when my January box arrived I would have get into it to find our celebration kit. The celebration kits are a bonus bag of goodies that  Mother Goose Time sends each month. They are fun and helpful when celebrating holidays, and seasons. We always look forward to our little bonus bag and use it to make our celebrations more meaningful. The January Dinosaur Dig box came with all the supplies for us to celebrate a New Year of Peace and kindness. I love this celebration kit and the idea of starting off the New Year with a goal of being the kindest person you can be, and this celebration kit comes woth lots of fun activites to help kickstart a year of peace and kindness. We will be using this kit on New Years Day which is still a few days away. I plan on making black eyed peas and corn bread as well as burning a bayberry candle for luck, and setting some goals for the New Year as well as ad...