Skip to main content

A Look Inside More Math and More Literacy

This weekend I was going through the August Mother Goose Time box since August starts in just a couple days. The theme for August is Superheroes, and my kids are pretty excited about this one. We are pretty big into Superheroes around here. I always take the last couple days of the month to get ready for the next month. I like to get everything organized and ready to go so that there is a smooth transition from one month to the next. Mother Goose Time already does such a great job at getting everything set up and ready to go so their isn't a lot to do, but I do have a few things I like to prepare before we start. One thing I like to look at is the More Math and More Literacy workbooks we have been getting in addition to our main curriculum.


I like to get an idea of what my son will be doing in the workbooks and this helps me decide what I want to focus on with him. As I was going through the books I couldn't help but notice how cute and how much fun they looked this month. I thought it might be helpful to show what a couple of the pages look like in each book so you could have an idea of what these workbooks are all about. My son is 5 and can do these workbooks with help, and do a few pages on his own if I read the instructions to him. For him they are great supplements to the regular curriculum and they add extra practice of the concepts being learned.

This is the More Literacy workbook



As I was flipping through it I noticed that there were so many open ended story worksheets that gave the opportunity to tell or finish stories using their own words. One page has them designing their own superheroes and then discussing the powers they gave them.  


Several pages had the beginnings of stories that they finish or they show pictures and ask them to write a story about it. Here is an example of one of those pages


This is supposed to be a story about a hero with super strength. My son is not writing independently yet so for these projects I am fully happy with him just dictating the story to me and me writing word for word what he says. This is a great way because he doesn't get frustrated by doing work that is to advanced for him and I model good writing for him.

There are also several letter and word games. And just look how cute the pages are. They are so colorful and fun!



The other workbook you get with this add on is the More Math and here is a little closer peek at that one.


Just like the Literacy one this is designed to be used a page a day and goes along with what you are learning about for the month. This book is filled with all kinds of fun math games, puzzles and mazes. It works on math skills ranging from counting and number recognition to shapes, colors, adding, and subtracting.




  

At the end of each workbook is a review section that you can use as an assessment tool. It is just a quick cumulative page of the concepts taught for the month so you can see how they did. It is very informal and I use it to let me know what we might need to focus more on for the next month. I know when I first started Mother Goose Time I was curios about these workbooks and what they were like inside. I wasn't sure if they would be to easy or difficult. I hope this little peek inside the books helps anyone on the fence about them. So far we have really enjoyed them and are getting a lot out of them.



*Mother Goose Time has generously provided this curriculum to us in exchange for our stories and honest opinions*





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets Talk About Manipulatives...And a Give-Away!

I am so excited about this post!  Mother Goose Time has allowed us to do a giveaway with our readers! One lucky winner will win 2 bags of Mother Goose Time manipulatives. It will be a surprise what they give you but let me ease your mind, we have loved all the manipulatives they have sent so far. Each month of Mother Goose Time has a theme and everything you get works with that theme. This means you get a meaningful month of learning that is all planned out for you. Every month you get a new calendar set up as well as numbers, shape, and color to add to your circle time. You also get a storybook and a music CD that is matched to the months theme as well. But, I think the most fun items you get is the hands on stuff. They include a stamp to go along with the shape of the month, cookie cutters of the letters you will be focusing on, and 2 bags of really good quality manipulatives. This Months theme is Nursery Rhymes and we received a bag of sheep counters and a bag of lacing shape

Mothers Day Celebration

We have been happily learning all about Bugs and Crawly Things this month with our Mother Goose Time  curriculum. We have gotten a little behind so far due to this great Forest School we have been going to, and let me tell you there are a lot of bugs to be seen in the damp Pacific North West Forest. The Banana slug is definately the biggest slug I have ever seen. We have also been seeing worms, and beetles as well. Such a great theme for Spring! We took another break from our daily bags this week to use our Mothers Day Celebration Kit that came in this months box. We do a weekly Poetry Tea Time on Thursdays as part of my daughters Language Arts program and I thought that the Mothers Day Kit would pair perfectly with this. Plus I see no reason we shouldn't celebrate me twice this week. Here is a link to get a printable version of the Mothers Day  kit in case you want to celebrate this weekend as well. So on Wednesday night I filled out the Invitations from the kit and left it on t

Fun with Sleds

With Christmas coming in just a few short days we decided to take it easy this week. We did lots of cookie baking, present wrapping, and movie watching. For my daughters school work this week we mostly focused on learning about different Christmas traditions from different countries. We then made an ornament to help us remember what we learned for each country. It made for a very fun and meaningful Christmas tree this year. The only part of our normal routine that we continued was our Mother Goose Time . The great thing about this program is how flexible it is. I love that I can really get into a week or even just a day and do everything that is listed in the teacher guide, or I can pick and choose what we do to make it an easy fun day. I liked that even though we weren't really doing a lot of school this week Mother Goose Time helped to make it feel like there was still some structure to the day. We continued our morning routine of calendar, weather, song and a story which helped