Skip to main content

3 Month Check In

It has been three months since I posted about using our Mother Goose Time More Math and More Literacy books as an assessment tool. I cannot believe the time has gone so fast. The original blog post explaining how I was using the assessment pages found in the back of the workbook pages can be found here. I decided that after completing this months Mother Goose Time curriculum as well as the workbooks I would fill out the assessment form and see how my son was progressing after working on his skills for three months. Here are pictures of the first workbooks and then this months workbooks which followed along with our rainforest theme.



I took the last couple days of this month and had him fill out the review pages to see how much he retained and I sat with him and talked about the problems in the workbooks so I could see how he was thinking about the pages as well. He did really well and I was impressed with the progress he has been making. It's like he was all the sudden ready to learn this stuff. I haven't done anything other then have him complete all the daily activities in Mother Goose Time and then sometimes do a supplemental worksheet out of the workbooks. Mother Goose Time provides such easy reinforcement of the skills that it seems to come very naturally and not once did I feel like I was forcing him to learn. 

I also like how after I filled out the assessment sheets I could easily compare the last one with the current one. Here is an example of both completed More Math assessments side by side. 


See how easy it is to see that compared to the first one we have moved into the meeting and exceeding range for all categories. I can tell that he is so much more confidant in his number recognition and counting. He counts all the time now, and while we are still working on counting to 20 with no mix ups I have noticed a huge improvement. 

Also here is the More Literacy Assessment side by side.


Again a really clear and easy way to gage how his progress is coming along. Again you can clearly see that all areas have moved to meeting and exceeding ratings and that he is making progress with the goals that I set three months ago. I have noticed his interest in writing and rhyming have become a thing now. He is always asking me about rhyming words and loves  to pretend to write stories. 

I have made new goals and focuses for the next three months based off of these assessments and I am so far very pleased with how this is working out as a way for me to document his progress. If you are interested in checking out the More Math and More Literacy workbooks visit Mother Goose Time .




*Mother Goose Time has generously provided this curriculum to us in exchange for our stories and honest opinions*







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets Talk About Manipulatives...And a Give-Away!

I am so excited about this post!  Mother Goose Time has allowed us to do a giveaway with our readers! One lucky winner will win 2 bags of Mother Goose Time manipulatives. It will be a surprise what they give you but let me ease your mind, we have loved all the manipulatives they have sent so far. Each month of Mother Goose Time has a theme and everything you get works with that theme. This means you get a meaningful month of learning that is all planned out for you. Every month you get a new calendar set up as well as numbers, shape, and color to add to your circle time. You also get a storybook and a music CD that is matched to the months theme as well. But, I think the most fun items you get is the hands on stuff. They include a stamp to go along with the shape of the month, cookie cutters of the letters you will be focusing on, and 2 bags of really good quality manipulatives. This Months theme is Nursery Rhymes and we received a bag of sheep counters and a bag of lacing shape

Strength Training

Superhero training continued this week and we focused on Superpowers. We learned about Invisibility, Super Speed, Flight, Super Strength, and Super Breath.  Doing our regular schedule of school wasnt easy this week though. It was unusually hot here and because of fires North of us in Canada our air was and still is in unhealthy ranges. So when the air was clear we spent as much time outside as we could, and when the winds changed and it was unhealthy again we stayed inside with the windows closed, the fan on and a constant flow of homemade popsicles. We might have watched a little more TV then normal as well, but since a lot of the shows we watched had superheroes in them we will say it was research! The great thing about the  Mother Goose Time themes and activities is that we can do them anywhere. We pretended to use our superpowers at the park, the grocery store, and out in the grassy area near our house. So even though we weren't super active with school this week we were still

Mothers Day Celebration

We have been happily learning all about Bugs and Crawly Things this month with our Mother Goose Time  curriculum. We have gotten a little behind so far due to this great Forest School we have been going to, and let me tell you there are a lot of bugs to be seen in the damp Pacific North West Forest. The Banana slug is definately the biggest slug I have ever seen. We have also been seeing worms, and beetles as well. Such a great theme for Spring! We took another break from our daily bags this week to use our Mothers Day Celebration Kit that came in this months box. We do a weekly Poetry Tea Time on Thursdays as part of my daughters Language Arts program and I thought that the Mothers Day Kit would pair perfectly with this. Plus I see no reason we shouldn't celebrate me twice this week. Here is a link to get a printable version of the Mothers Day  kit in case you want to celebrate this weekend as well. So on Wednesday night I filled out the Invitations from the kit and left it on t