Skip to main content

Ice Excavating

We spent the week learning about the different seasons with Mother Goose Time. There was definitely a heavier focus on Autumn for us since that is what we are currently experiencing. We have done so much leaf crafts and baking. Last weekend we went apple picking and this weekend we are going to a pumpkin farm. It has been getting colder here and winter is definitely letting us know that it is just around the corner. It was also nice to take a day out of the week to focus on the warmer seasons and help us remember that spring and summer will be coming back. We read so many great books snuggled up under warm blankets, and we did some great art all while having the delicious smells of something we baked that day to comfort us.

I think our favorite activity this week was another of the STEAM stations that are found in the beginning of the Teacher Guide. So far this month Mother Goose Time has really been bringing a lot of fun with their STEAM stations. This one was called Icy Artic Animal. A few days before I wanted to do this activity I selected several of my kids little animal figurines and froze them in containers. We didn't have any arctic animals so ours was Icy Jungle Animals, but whatever you have laying around works. When I brought out the blocks of ice and gave them to my kids they were very surprised.

 

I gave them little bowls of hot water, salt, a little wooden hammer and chisel that I had left over from a bug dig kit my son got as a gift (I knew someday I might need those again), a pipette, and a paintbrush. I told them that they had to rescue their animals out of the ice and that they could use those items however they wanted to help them. They had so much fun, even my daughter loved this. It was so fun watching them try different things to see what would melt the ice fastest. My son got right to work, he dumped hot water on the block of ice, then tried covering it with salt, then he used the brush which didn't have the results he was looking for so he used the pipette. 





He found that layering on the salt and then using the pipette to squeeze water around the edges of the animal worked really fast and he was able to rescue his animal pretty quickly. 


My daughter took her time with hers, she was really savoring the fun. She tried different ways to melt the ice as well but with less urgency. It was really fun to watch them come up with different ways to use the materials, also I loved that there was some collaboration between them as well. They told each other their ideas and shared what worked and didn't work. They even left their little stations to go over to see the others work and talk about their findings. And this all happened on its own. I just set out the materials and gave a little instruction on what the activity was about and then I sat back and watched. I also acted as assistant and resupplied hot water and salt as needed. I love projects that bring them together and make them work together to find a solution. I feel like since the weather has been cooler and its been gloomy lately they have been bickering a lot. This was a perfect activity to get them working together. There was no fighting at all during this. Only happiness, helpfulness, and learning through play. When they asked me if they cold do it again I said go find the next animal you want to save next! I now have a spider and a frog freezing in my freezer. I will keep this idea in my mind and use it again on a rainy cold indoor day. 




*Mother Goose Time has generously provided this curriculum to us in exchange for our stories and honest opinions*








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets Talk About Manipulatives...And a Give-Away!

I am so excited about this post!  Mother Goose Time has allowed us to do a giveaway with our readers! One lucky winner will win 2 bags of Mother Goose Time manipulatives. It will be a surprise what they give you but let me ease your mind, we have loved all the manipulatives they have sent so far. Each month of Mother Goose Time has a theme and everything you get works with that theme. This means you get a meaningful month of learning that is all planned out for you. Every month you get a new calendar set up as well as numbers, shape, and color to add to your circle time. You also get a storybook and a music CD that is matched to the months theme as well. But, I think the most fun items you get is the hands on stuff. They include a stamp to go along with the shape of the month, cookie cutters of the letters you will be focusing on, and 2 bags of really good quality manipulatives. This Months theme is Nursery Rhymes and we received a bag of sheep counters and a bag of lacing shape

Mothers Day Celebration

We have been happily learning all about Bugs and Crawly Things this month with our Mother Goose Time  curriculum. We have gotten a little behind so far due to this great Forest School we have been going to, and let me tell you there are a lot of bugs to be seen in the damp Pacific North West Forest. The Banana slug is definately the biggest slug I have ever seen. We have also been seeing worms, and beetles as well. Such a great theme for Spring! We took another break from our daily bags this week to use our Mothers Day Celebration Kit that came in this months box. We do a weekly Poetry Tea Time on Thursdays as part of my daughters Language Arts program and I thought that the Mothers Day Kit would pair perfectly with this. Plus I see no reason we shouldn't celebrate me twice this week. Here is a link to get a printable version of the Mothers Day  kit in case you want to celebrate this weekend as well. So on Wednesday night I filled out the Invitations from the kit and left it on t

Fun with Sleds

With Christmas coming in just a few short days we decided to take it easy this week. We did lots of cookie baking, present wrapping, and movie watching. For my daughters school work this week we mostly focused on learning about different Christmas traditions from different countries. We then made an ornament to help us remember what we learned for each country. It made for a very fun and meaningful Christmas tree this year. The only part of our normal routine that we continued was our Mother Goose Time . The great thing about this program is how flexible it is. I love that I can really get into a week or even just a day and do everything that is listed in the teacher guide, or I can pick and choose what we do to make it an easy fun day. I liked that even though we weren't really doing a lot of school this week Mother Goose Time helped to make it feel like there was still some structure to the day. We continued our morning routine of calendar, weather, song and a story which helped