Skip to main content

St. Patrick's Day Celebration

It was St. Patrick's Day this week! This is always such a fun holiday to celebrate and this year it was made more fun with our Mother Goose Time celebration kit. I love that they send these extra kits each month to go along with a holiday that is happening.


We started the day by having our annual bowl of Lucky Charms cereal. I hate giving them cereal with marshmallows in it because they usually just eat the marshmallows and leave the cereal, but we make an exception for St. Patrick's Day.


After our breakfast we played the Hot Potato game from the celebration kit. I didn't get pictures of this because I was playing with them and we had a lot of fun. After we played a couple rounds of hot potato we played the coin toss game.



I had my daughter add up all of our scores each time to help her with her adding skills. This wasn't a very challenging game for her but she was able to practice using mental math which we practice with her math curriculum and it was a great math warm up for her before doing her math page for the day. This also helped make the game more suitable for her skill level. After we were finished with this game and my daughter was done with her math page we decided to do the My Treasures art project. These came out really cute. My daughter was able to do hers by herself and my son needed a little help. To make it less frustrating for him I wrote the things he told me that he treasures on the coins for him. I also helped him draw the pot.



While they were coloring and working on their art projects I started working on our lunch. We decided to have a St. Patrick's Day tea party. I found some really cute dishes at the thrift store near us so we decided to bring those out. I made the Rainbow Skewer Snack Recipe that was included in the celebration kit. I also made some chicken nuggets, we had left over cake from my daughters birthday the day before, and I made some Irish Breakfast Tea.




 I had my daughter read the 5 Green Shamrocks Rhyme from the Celebration kit and my son played with the shamrock story pieces as she read.


She also read another St. Patrick's Day book that taught us a little background on the holiday. I also took some time to read some Irish Poems, and Irish blessings while we had our tea. We also listened to Irish music. I tried to make it as rich of a cultural experience as I could. This is one of the ways I am able to use Mother Goose Time with both my kids even though their age and skill levels are very different. It is so easy to take the Mother Goose Time topics and expand on them. The library and the internet are such great resources that I can turn any of the Mother Goose Time lessons into a meaningful age appropriate lesson for my 8 year old. The nice thing about this is that it is less stressful for everyone to be learning and working on the same things.


After reading the stories my daughter decided that she wanted to try making a leprechaun trap like the one she read about in one of the stories. The rest of the afternoon was spent going through our recycling and art supplies to find materials that would work for a trap. My son decided to try making one as well. It was so fun to see what they both came up with. They each worked so hard on coming up with a trap and I enjoyed hearing the stories they told me about how the traps would work. This was a totally spontaneous project that I didn't plan which I think made it more fun. They had to really think about what supplies they wanted to use and find because it wasn't pre set up for them.  






*Mother Goose Time has generously provided our curriculum to us in exchange for our stories and honest opinions*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets Talk About Manipulatives...And a Give-Away!

I am so excited about this post!  Mother Goose Time has allowed us to do a giveaway with our readers! One lucky winner will win 2 bags of Mother Goose Time manipulatives. It will be a surprise what they give you but let me ease your mind, we have loved all the manipulatives they have sent so far. Each month of Mother Goose Time has a theme and everything you get works with that theme. This means you get a meaningful month of learning that is all planned out for you. Every month you get a new calendar set up as well as numbers, shape, and color to add to your circle time. You also get a storybook and a music CD that is matched to the months theme as well. But, I think the most fun items you get is the hands on stuff. They include a stamp to go along with the shape of the month, cookie cutters of the letters you will be focusing on, and 2 bags of really good quality manipulatives. This Months theme is Nursery Rhymes and we received a bag of sheep counters and a bag of lacing shape

Strength Training

Superhero training continued this week and we focused on Superpowers. We learned about Invisibility, Super Speed, Flight, Super Strength, and Super Breath.  Doing our regular schedule of school wasnt easy this week though. It was unusually hot here and because of fires North of us in Canada our air was and still is in unhealthy ranges. So when the air was clear we spent as much time outside as we could, and when the winds changed and it was unhealthy again we stayed inside with the windows closed, the fan on and a constant flow of homemade popsicles. We might have watched a little more TV then normal as well, but since a lot of the shows we watched had superheroes in them we will say it was research! The great thing about the  Mother Goose Time themes and activities is that we can do them anywhere. We pretended to use our superpowers at the park, the grocery store, and out in the grassy area near our house. So even though we weren't super active with school this week we were still

Mothers Day Celebration

We have been happily learning all about Bugs and Crawly Things this month with our Mother Goose Time  curriculum. We have gotten a little behind so far due to this great Forest School we have been going to, and let me tell you there are a lot of bugs to be seen in the damp Pacific North West Forest. The Banana slug is definately the biggest slug I have ever seen. We have also been seeing worms, and beetles as well. Such a great theme for Spring! We took another break from our daily bags this week to use our Mothers Day Celebration Kit that came in this months box. We do a weekly Poetry Tea Time on Thursdays as part of my daughters Language Arts program and I thought that the Mothers Day Kit would pair perfectly with this. Plus I see no reason we shouldn't celebrate me twice this week. Here is a link to get a printable version of the Mothers Day  kit in case you want to celebrate this weekend as well. So on Wednesday night I filled out the Invitations from the kit and left it on t