Skip to main content

Sunrises, Sunsets and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies!

I cannot even believe that it is Halloween in just a few short days! We have been very busy decorating for Halloween, reading Halloween books and buying pumpkins of all sizes and colors. To really get in the spirit of all things fall and pumpkin we visited Craven Farm, a real pumpkin patch with an actual field of pumpkins that you can into and pick the pumpkin of your choice off the vines! No trucked in pumpkins here. The pumpkin patch also happened to be a really great field trip to go along with our Mother Goose Time preschool curriculum. This months theme is Down on the Farm, so it was perfect to go down to the farm and see pumpkins on vines as well as corn stalks, and a huge variety of squash. It was a cold rainy day but we still enjoyed the apple sling shot, duck racing, and the 15 acre corn maze.



We also visited Apple Creek Orchard earlier in the month for apple picking. It's a yearly tradition of ours and we have been going to Julian for years. So this year I found this great orchard in Ferndale Washington and it provided another great real world example of farms and farm life. The people were so nice there and the owners of the orchard were originally from San Diego just like us! We picked about 50lbs of apples and checked out there chickens and turkeys that were wandering around. Paired with a picnic lunch under the apples trees and it was a really great day. I have spent this whole month making apple sauce, apple crisp, and just eating a lot of apples  We also gifted some. Probably some of the best apples I've had.


 
So as we are coming to the end of October as well as the end of Down on the Farm I thought it was fitting to talk about the Sunrise/Sunset day. You know since the sun is setting on this month and all... See what I did there. First we started off with talking about what a farm is like in the early morning and asking about what our favorite time of day is. We chatted for a bit about this and then jumped right into the invitation to create. We really paid attention to the colors of the sunset on the inspiration photo as well as discussed the shadows and shapes that we saw. I then encouraged them to use the materials in whatever way they wanted. I didn't have any paint suitable for this so I improvised and watered down some acrylic paint. It worked alright, but this probably would have worked better with some water colors. They had fun though so I guess that is all that matters. There was a little bit of color mixing that I could point out so that was good. My son had a lot of fun painting on the coffee filter with the pipette. It made squishing sounds and blew bubbles sometimes so it was a hit with him. After he was finished using the coffee filter he decided that he wanted to press the black paper onto the filter. When he separated it he was very pleased with the results. I was very surprised that he came up with this on his own. I think the more we use the invitation to create prompts the more comfortable he is becoming with it. It has been fun to watch him grow in this way. He is not a very artistic or patient kid, but he is finding his creative side now and that has been fun to watch.

The inspiration photo for todays invitation to create



Next we spent a large part of the day making paper bag puppets to put on a puppet show about animals waking up on the farm. My daughter had a blast with this. She made all the puppets. I knew that my son would want no part in this. She made enough for him to use as well though and when the time came he loved putting on a show and making all the animal noises with her.

 

We also used the story pieces to act out the story that came with this months supplies. I must say that this has by far been a favorite book, and the cd comes with the song for it. We may or may not have heard it 100 times by now. I hear my son singing it all the time when he is playing. I have even caught myself singing it at work.  It is VERY catchy. At the end of the day we watched a real sunset and pointed out the colors that we were able to see and then we talked about what the animals on a farm might be doing to get ready for bed.


We really had a great day of school today and I think they were excited because I announced that the next day we were going to have a Halloween inspired Poetry Tea Party. Poetry Tea Time is something I have been trying to incorporate into our schedule this year. Originally I thought I would do it every Friday but I think Once a month keeps it special. Basically we have a fun lunch and take turns reading poetry. Eventually I would like for my daughter to work on something to read of her own at the tea time, but for right now we are just reading fun poems and learning that poetry is not scary. So in preparation for tomorrow I made pumpkin Chocolate chip cookies. I do not remember where the original recipe comes from and I have been using it for several years now. They are egg free and nut free, and could easily be changed to dairy free as well if you needed. So since it is Halloween soon and we are enjoying the fall season I thought I would share my pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 5 dozen depending on size

Pre heat oven to 375

Ingredients

1 15oz can pumpkin
1/4 cup applesauce
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp milk
2 tsp vanilla

4 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

12 oz bag of chocolate chips

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Then in a separate bowl combine the next 5 ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. Then pour in the chocolate chips and fold them in.

I used a cookie scoop but you could use a tablespoon or something similar. Put them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Or use a silpat mat, I love those for baking.
Bake for 10-15 min. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes to firm up. Then take them off the pan and let them continue cooling.






Hope you enjoy the cookies. Happy Fall!!





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets Talk About Manipulatives...And a Give-Away!

I am so excited about this post!  Mother Goose Time has allowed us to do a giveaway with our readers! One lucky winner will win 2 bags of Mother Goose Time manipulatives. It will be a surprise what they give you but let me ease your mind, we have loved all the manipulatives they have sent so far. Each month of Mother Goose Time has a theme and everything you get works with that theme. This means you get a meaningful month of learning that is all planned out for you. Every month you get a new calendar set up as well as numbers, shape, and color to add to your circle time. You also get a storybook and a music CD that is matched to the months theme as well. But, I think the most fun items you get is the hands on stuff. They include a stamp to go along with the shape of the month, cookie cutters of the letters you will be focusing on, and 2 bags of really good quality manipulatives. This Months theme is Nursery Rhymes and we received a bag of sheep counters and a bag of lacing shape

Mothers Day Celebration

We have been happily learning all about Bugs and Crawly Things this month with our Mother Goose Time  curriculum. We have gotten a little behind so far due to this great Forest School we have been going to, and let me tell you there are a lot of bugs to be seen in the damp Pacific North West Forest. The Banana slug is definately the biggest slug I have ever seen. We have also been seeing worms, and beetles as well. Such a great theme for Spring! We took another break from our daily bags this week to use our Mothers Day Celebration Kit that came in this months box. We do a weekly Poetry Tea Time on Thursdays as part of my daughters Language Arts program and I thought that the Mothers Day Kit would pair perfectly with this. Plus I see no reason we shouldn't celebrate me twice this week. Here is a link to get a printable version of the Mothers Day  kit in case you want to celebrate this weekend as well. So on Wednesday night I filled out the Invitations from the kit and left it on t

Fun with Sleds

With Christmas coming in just a few short days we decided to take it easy this week. We did lots of cookie baking, present wrapping, and movie watching. For my daughters school work this week we mostly focused on learning about different Christmas traditions from different countries. We then made an ornament to help us remember what we learned for each country. It made for a very fun and meaningful Christmas tree this year. The only part of our normal routine that we continued was our Mother Goose Time . The great thing about this program is how flexible it is. I love that I can really get into a week or even just a day and do everything that is listed in the teacher guide, or I can pick and choose what we do to make it an easy fun day. I liked that even though we weren't really doing a lot of school this week Mother Goose Time helped to make it feel like there was still some structure to the day. We continued our morning routine of calendar, weather, song and a story which helped